Grilled Zucchini Bites
|January 28, 2013
Posted by Camilla
Match made in Heaven: leftover Zucchini from Zucchini Salad , marinara and cheese. ‘Nuff said. Try it. Well maybe there is a little bit more to say… as you may recall I made a vow earlier this year to not waste any produce, with the goal to live a more conscious life and saving money by feeding our stomachs vs. the landfill with over ripened food. So – I set out to find a clever way to use my two darkening zucchinis in the fridge. This is when I came across this link on Pinterest. Low Carb Grilled Zucchini Pizza – such a great idea, and better yet I had all of the ingredients at home.
My favorite thing about this healthy snack bite is that you can so easily modify it to suit your family’s likes and dietary needs, or even change it by the mood you are in. A couple of variations that I’ve tried are:
Marinara, Chopped Prosciutto and Pecorino Romano cheese
Marinara, Chopped Proscioutto, Mascarpone Cheese (use this as a base under the marinara and broil on high vs. low)
Marinate in salad dressing instead of olive oil and garlic mixture
- 2 zucchinis, sliced on the bias 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I've used smoked Gouda, Parmesan, Pecorino Romano & Gruyere)
- Slice zucchini on the bias, about 3/4 inch thick. Cutting on the bias vs. a straight cut allows for more surface area to be marinated, grilled and holds more toppings.
- Line 2 cup measuring cup with large Ziploc bag and zucchini, olive oil, salt and chopped garlic. Top with freshly ground pepper.
- Seal back and shake baby shake. Make sure all of the zucchini is well coated with oil.
- Marinate in the refrigerator, the longer the better. Its a good idea to pop in fridge in the morning, and cook up at night.
- Heat grill pan to medium high heat, then grill zucchini about 3 to 4 minutes on each sides, until you have distinct grill marks. Work in batches until all of the zucchini is grilled.
- Place grilled zucchini on XXX lined baking sheet. Top with a dollup of marinara, then shredded cheese.
- Broil on low in over until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or save for snack later. I enjoy these just as much cold, as hot out of the oven.